Today, most hiring interviews are being done by phone or video conferencing such as Zoom due to COVID-19. To make an impressive interview, here’s what you need to do:
1. Find a quiet spot in your home where you can communicate freely. Close the door if you’re not home alone.
2. Let everyone in the house know that you’ll be having an interview and cannot be interrupted.
3. Turn off all distractions such as your cell phone, notifications on your computer, music, and anything else that makes noise.
4. Make sure the room you’ve chosen is brightly lit so that the hiring manager can see you. Your computer/laptop should be facing a window to offer natural light on your face. If the window is behind you, it casts a shadow on your face and creates a silhouette effect. Also, it can be distracting for the hiring manager to watch what may be happening outside your window.
5. Dress professionally.
6. Look into the camera while speaking to maintain eye contact with the hiring manager.
7. Don’t forget to ask questions.
By focusing on the interview and making a good impression with these seven tips, you’ll have a better chance of having a productive interview.